Kobe Mosque was founded in October, 1935 in Kobe and is Japan’s first mosque. The mosque was confiscated by the Imperial Japanese Navy in 1943. However, it continues to function as mosque today. It is located also in the Kitano-cho foreign district of Kobe. Owing to its basement and structure, the mosque was able to endure through the Great Hanshin earthquake.
The mosque was built in traditional Turkish style by the Czech architect Jan Josef Švagr (1885–1969), the architect of a number of Western religious buildings throughout Japan.